Three Things; Monday Lunch – Savoury Swirls
Today we made up a recipe to take on a visit to see some good friends.
To make these delicious savoury swirls we used…
A sheet of ready made puff pastry
A couple of big dollops of creme fraiche
A packet of bacon
A chunk of cheese finely grated
A sprinkle of pepper
* Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
* Grill the entire pack of bacon and suppress the desire to eat it all now.
* Cut the pastry sheet on half and spread a thin layer of creme fraiche over the two. On one half sprinkle a layer of grated cheese and spread the bacon out on the other half. (For the photo I put the bacon on whole but then discovered they wouldn’t roll up nicely so had to peel them off and chop them into small pieces and then sprinkle on.) Add pepper to taste.
* Roll up the pastry into a long sausage shape and cut into discs about an inch tall.
* Place the discs on a baking tray spread quite wide apart as they will grow in the oven.
* Bake for about 20 minutes until they are puffed up and golden and the cheese is bubbling nicely.
They can be served hot or cold and are totally delicious! You could of course have the whole tray with both bacon and cheese mixed together if you fancied it, or indeed not cut the sheet in half and have much bigger swirls which would need cooking a little longer.