Join Laura for a day of taking full control of your camera.
This one day course is designed for those who want to take full creative control of their cameras. Perhaps you have been shooting in S, A, Tv, or Av modes and are ready to make the leap to M mode. This course is not for total beginners and will assume knowledge of F Stops and Shutter Speeds. It is an ideal follow on from both our one day ‘Get Off Auto Mode’ and our two day 'Photography: Button Pressing and Composition' courses. Brilliant as a refresher or top up or after buying a new camera. If you are unsure as to if your camera or your existing knowledge/experience is suitable or have any questions please do email Laura, the course tutor and she can advise.
The day begins with a presentation on manual photography and in camera light metering with examples and discussion over biscuits and tea/coffee. Practice in the studio with some more complex setups to cement your learning.
We then head out on a photo walk whatever the weather so make sure you dress sensibly. A home made lunch of fresh soup and warm bread is followed by review and discussion of the images from the photo walk. The best shot from each participant will then be printed and framed to take home.
As the course includes nurturing small-group tuition and a nutritious lunch, all you need to bring on the day is your camera. A tripod can be useful for creative shots of the tide but we can not guarantee the tide will be in for any specific course date until nearer the date.
If your preferred dates are not available and you can round up two friends please send us an email and we will do our best to accommodate you on a bespoke course. To buy a gift voucher for a photography course click here.
The Early Bird catches the worm, and if you arrive before the course starts at 10am you are welcome to join us for tea / coffee and home made biscuits, still warm from the oven. There is no additional charge for our ticket holders.
Learn about in camera light metering and manual adjustment of shutters and apertutres.
Practice Your Skills
Hone your new skills in the studio followed by an image review.
Lunch is homemade soup and home made bread. Delicious and Nutritious!
Taking our cameras outside to the gardens and beach whatever the weather! Capturing beautiful shots.
A final image review over tea and biscuits. Choose your favourite image to be printed and taken home in a frame.
You can choose to pay in full by card, bank transfer, or post us a cheque. You can even choose pay on the day of your course just click which method you'd prefer from the options at the checkout on the next screen. There is also the option to pay in full or in part by gift voucher, just add your code(s) to the voucher section at the checkout.
Who Is This Course For?
- I've already been on one of your technical courses so am confident about Shutters and Apertures using T, A, or TV, AV modes.
- I've not been on one of your technical courses before but I am confident that I understand when and how to use TV, AV, or T, A modes.
- I want an advanced course that builds on my knowledge and takes it further.
- I want a relaxed setting and friendly teaching, I need a supportive environment.
Who Is This Course Not For?
- I'm more of a beginner or lack confidence in using Shutter and Aperture control modes.
- I've used TV, AV or T, A modes before but I'm not sure when to use each of them or what happens when I do.
- I want to start right at the beginning with photography, or I wouldn't mind a recap from the beginning as it has been a while since I last looked at it.
- I would prefer a formal classroom style with exams and to work toward a certificate or qualification.
"adventure. Laura was a great teacher who explained things in an easy to understand way and the course was very visual and practical which really suited my style of learning! I would definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to learn or improve their skills."
"Another great day at Shore Cottage with excellent tuition from Laura . Very inspiring !! Wonderful homemade food too."
"Really excellent course. Laura is a superb teacher, explains complex stuff very clearly. I learnt a huge amount. Great hospitality, and an amazing location. Could not recommend it highly enough."